Sunday, June 13, 2010

Updates from Jay


Hello my blog friends, hope you are enjoying this beautiful weather we have been graced with, maybe it will decided to stay for a while. By the way, this is Jay typing. I figured I better disclose that ahead of time and will continue to do so any time I decide to make an entry here.

So here it is starting the 4th week of my journey. Yes, I started a week earlier than Laura, I felt it was time, I couldn’t wait any longer. Let me be the first to say, this has NOT been easy. Not the food, not the workouts, nothing has been easy; not even losing the challenges is easy. I am finding that night times are the hardest for me. I will eat well all day long and then eat a good dinner, but after dinner sucks. I want to snack on anything I see. I haven’t found a good way to deal with it yet, but what does work is to stay out of the kitchen. Another thing that’s difficult, making food for Jera. While she has been eating better, we basically have just been cutting down on the amounts she eats. But when you are making it, it’s hard not to take a bite here and a bite there while telling yourself, its only one bite. But those add up and add up fast.

CASHEWS are my weakness. I had Laura buy some the other day, I eat them with my breakfast, but at night, I have to hide them. They sit there and scream at me from the kitchen, “one handful isn’t going to hurt you”, “there is a lot of us in the jar, no one will notice we are missing”, or my favorite tactic of the nasty cashews, “our fat is good fat for you, it won’t hurt you”. Them suckers are smart. While yes their fat is healthy, only in small amounts, I can’t stop eating them at one serving, which by the way is a 160 calories for 28g(roughly 20 pieces). I might have to rethink having cashews with my breakfast.

Workouts are really not that bad. I can get to the gym, I can do my warm-up, and I can lift the weights, but I know I can do more. The other day I pushed myself and was able to walk 2 miles, huge victory. I am dealing with the soreness right now, and I know that it will go away here shortly, but it sucks and makes it very easy to talk yourself out of doing something. Then again, our bodies can tell us a lot if we would just listen to them, and soreness is one of the ways of saying, “hey give me time to recover please”.

So while I know that struggles are a normal part of this journey, I thought I should share them so others can see its par for the course. In my mind, the victories far outweigh the struggles, but I know the struggles can drag us down and they will fight you to do whatever they can to stop you from succeeding. Keep focusing on the positives; weight loss, change in body shape, being able to stand for 30mins without sitting, being able to run on and off the softball field, being able to walk 2 miles, counting calories for everything that goes down the hatch, because in the end, you can look back down that mountain you just climbed and yell to the world, I DID IT!!!

P.S. I tried something new today, and fell in love with it. EATING ASPARAGUS. It really isn't that bad. Actually it is really good. Laura took a picture for all to see I really did eat it.

5 comments:

  1. I just love your posts and raw emotions in them! Keep up the good work, I have been praying for strength and endurance for you. Jay, this is just a thought. Can you work to earn an evening treat or does the program you are on not allow it? For example, figure out how many miles, steps, push-ups or whatever it would take to get a handful of cashews. Then do the exercise before you can have the treat. Just a thought and it maybe a stupid thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the things Daris (last season BL) said he had to change were his sleeping habits. He, too, had a hard time in the evenings. He said when you eat dinner at 6:00 and then stay up until midnight or later, of course, you are going to be hungry at 10:00. It's been four hours since you've eaten. His solution was to no longer 'burn the midnight oil' and go to bed at a more normal time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lose the fork with the asparagas, turn it into snack food that you can shovel into your mouth like a cashew:-)) so proud of you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tim and I sat and read this together. Tim said that he thought you had a gift for writing. It was entertaining to read.

    Good Job as well
    I liked hanging with you two this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW Jay, I had no idea that evening was so hard. Let me know exactly what kind of snacks you can have for our Settler nights. Keep up the good work, and remember, anything worth attaining takes hard work.

    ReplyDelete